Saturday, June 13, 2009

Nautical Striped Skirt


YOOOU ARE A PIRATE

I picked this fabric up during a trip to NYC in the spring. Fabric shopping in the city feels more like placing a hit than buying textiles. Shady lighting, foreign languages being shouted across the room, dealing only in cash...it's great! I much prefer it to dealing with insane old ladies in the fluorescent hellhole that is the typical middle-American fabric and craft (read: less than 15% is devoted to fabric and it's mostly awful quilting stuff like this) store.

I originally aimed for a dress, but the fabric is a bit too light to make a suitable bodice, and the stripes weren't matching up the way I wanted. In spite of my initial fears of screwy thread tension, the construction went really smoothly. I'm satisfied, not enthralled, with this skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment