Saturday, June 13, 2009

Quittin' Time

I haven't entirely caught up with my older items, but I've been wanting to post some more recent things. Onwards!

How To Stop Smoking Dress





Don't Kill Yourself!

The siren song of this cute-but-not-cutesy fabric beckoned to me every time I walked into the fabric store back home. A few weeks before I moved, I gave in and purchased a few yards. I was paralyzed with that "ruining your pretty new fabric" fear for a quite come time.

But as you can see, I got over it! I got around to making this dress sometime in April. I gave in to the gathered rectangular skirt trap that I so often fall into. I can't help it! Gathered rectangles give that full look and work well with so many fabrics, since it's a straight cut. And yeah, they're easy. I've been purposefully avoiding that type of skirt, though, because simply repeating the same thing over and over doesn't really help develop a dynamic design vocabulary. I am bustin' out the million dollar art class critique terms! The stiff-looking bodice is to better showcase the print on the fabric. The neckline is wide and slightly indented towards the middle.

I made a little ribbon belt with a "No Smoking" button attached to go along, but I can't seem to locate it at the moment. Here's an older picture with said belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment